Amish Country Half - Training Recap - Week 6

Six down, ten to go - let's look at Week 6!


Sunday 9/10: Planned - Rest / Actual - Heitz of Heaven 5K (3.1 miles/29 minutes)

You can read the full report for all the details, but while this one wasn't part of my training plan, I was really looking forward to it, and it turned out really well for me! I guess there really is something to this running slow business. New 5K PR finally achieved!



Monday 9/11: Planned - 30 minutes @ Z2 + 5-10 minutes cooldown / Actual - Rest

Took Monday off since I ran on Sunday, with the plan to bump everything by a day and consider Friday's workout a swap for Sunday's 5K.

Tuesday 9/12: Planned - Intervals: 10 minutes warmup + (6 minutes @ Z4, 1 minute @ Z2) x 4 + 5-10 minutes cooldown / Actual - 30 minutes @ Z2 + 11:14 cooldown (2.76 miles)

My Tuesday my quads were still feeling kind of trashed from Sunday's all-out effort, so I took this one very easy. It's still pretty dark out while I'm running in the mornings these days but at least it's cool!


Wednesday 9/13: Planned - 40 minutes @ Z2 + 5-10 minutes cooldown / Actual - Intervals: 10 minutes warmup + (6 minutes @ Z4, 1 minute @ Z2) x 4 + 15:03 cooldown (4 miles)

By Wednesday I expected to be fairly recovered from Sunday's effort, and I started out feeling all right, but by the time I really started churning through those intervals I could still feel some residual fatigue in my quads. Nonetheless, got the job done, though I have a hard time keeping track of intervals when there are this many of them (despite my watch being pretty specific about it if I would just pay attention) and lost count, which meant I went on the 4 mile route when 3.5 would probably have been fine. Wednesday's a work from home day so no harm done though, and it was nice to squeeze in a little extra distance since this was going to be a low week for me due to travel plans.


Not strictly part of the training plan, but Wednesday night we went to the Queens of the Stone Age concert, and my fitbit interpreted my enthusiastic dancing in an interesting fashion:


Thursday 9/14: Planned - Rest / Actual - Improvised lifting session #5

More of the same here, really. Used the other squat racks this time but no huge changes. Squats and pushups, deadlifts and rows, bis/tris, situps and back extensions, all that good stuff.


Friday 9/15: Planned - Hills: 10 minutes warmup + (8 minutes @ Z4, 2 minutes @ Z2) x 3 + 5-10 minutes cooldown / Actual - 40 minutes @ Z2 + 13:18 cooldown (3.5 miles)

Gave myself a bit of a break and kept the easy run here instead of the hill workout. Simple and sweet.


Saturday 9/16: Planned - 90 minutes @ Z2, 5-10 minutes cooldown / Actual - Rest

We left super early Saturday morning for the beach. Without stops or traffic it's about a 10.5 hour drive, so with stops it took a bit over 12. I'd considered either getting up even earlier to run (not practical even though I slept so poorly it would have been a more productive use of my time) or running late Saturday like I did in Tennessee, but by the time we arrived I was pretty wiped out and went to bed instead, which meant I would be getting up Sunday to run in all that heat and humidity! The only consolation there was that it was going to be just as hot at home, so it really didn't matter too much where I was, in the long run (ha).

Also, we ate at Burger Batch in Winston-Salem on our way down, and I think the Pittsburgh running scene would really love this place... the good news is that this was really my only substantial meal for the day, so it wasn't as bad on my calories as it could have been!

Bunless "figgy piggy" with bacon, caramelized onions, and fig jam

Amazing brussels sprouts

Monster milkshakes! I had the Black & White with Oreos and a chocolate chip cookie; the other is "It's a Surprise!" and is topped with a whole piece of cake under all that cotton candy!

Sluuuurp

Weekly Total Time: 2:56:37 (down ~2 hours from Week 5)
Weekly Total Distance: 13.36 (down 7.6 miles from Week 5)
Weight Lost: Difficult to say. Recovery from the maintenance eating from the race (and tbh PR-celebration eating the day of) messed with the scale a bit but I don't think there was any permanent gain at the very least.

Next week: Week 7 with bonus extra long run and beach fun, including heat, humidity, and all sorts of fun food. Gonna do my best to maintain for the week, run in some interesting places, and enjoy myself!

Comments