Running Swag & New Shoes

I've recently acquired a couple more running goodies that I'm excited about, for various reasons.

First - Mike and I brainstormed and planned and shopped and measured, and then he spent a lot of time in his basement with power tools, and eventually he delivered me this...


A lovingly crafted and beautiful medal rack of my very own! My race medals have been piling up in various places for a while, and my bibs even more so, which means that this update to my closet is very much needed and appreciated. The green folder there is my age group award from the Semper Gratus 5K in March - and most of these are participation medals only, but there's one other age group in there for a small race from last year, too! I'm looking forward to adding even more to this as time goes by. :)

The other new thing is probably not too surprising... I think I've mentioned before that I had my eye on the Brooks Launch 4s in the pink/purple/blue on black combo, and when I got a price alert from RunningWarehouse that they were on sale, I couldn't resist any longer! New training cycle, new shoes, right?


They came earlier this week but since I've read that they're light and kind of zippy, I decided to save them for my fartlek run for the week, since it wants me to do some fast bits, and also because it's a relatively short run, time-wise. If they didn't work for my wide feet with high arches, at least it would be over pretty quickly.


I swapped in my Superfeet insoles (the few times I've tried running without them, I immediately set off ITBS symptoms, so not risking it...) and headed out. I could definitely feel some differences... the forefoot area doesn't feel nearly so cushioned as my Saucony Ride 7s that I'm clinging to despite being 3 years out of production (I keep snagging lighly-loved pairs on eBay...). They do feel lighter. The site recommended that I size up to an 11 (I normally wear a 10 and get a 10.5 in my Rides) and while they felt a little big in the forefoot for the first few hundred yards, I didn't really notice any issues after that. And my run went pretty well! I'll probably give these another outing for my upcoming 5K in a week and a half (ice cream!) and see if they feel good in race conditions too. So far so good!

I like that they put this reminder on the aglets :)

Comments